old military barracks

 


When was it built?

The Old Military Barracks is a very grand group of buildings, and it is very important, as it is the biggest old military barracks in Australia.  Mr William Buchanan drew the first plans in 1826.  The building was to house one hundred men. Construction began in 1829, and a third storey was added in 1831. Officers’ Quarters were added to each side in 1832.




Its use during the Second Settlement

As well as being the living quarters for the soldiers, there was also a Military Hospital, a Guard Room, a Powder Magazine a Ball Court for games, cells, and washhouses.  A high stone wall was built all around it.  At one time there was a school and a Roman Catholic Chapel.

 

Its use during the Third Settlement

When the Pitcairners came they used the building as the first Methodist School.  It was also used as the centre for Burns Philp which was a big trading company in the South Pacific. 

 

Its use today

Following the Second World War, the compound was used as the Administration Works Depot, but this was causing damage to the buildings.  The compound was changed to being as it was in the Second Settlement.

 

Today the building has been restored and is the home of the Norfolk Island Assembly Chambers. The Courthouse is also in a part of the building.

 

 

DEM OEL MILETRI BAERAKS



      

Wat taim dem bild et?

Daa Oel Mitetri Baeraks (Military Barracks) es wan riil graen gruup o’ bildens, en es importantun, siid es daa biges oel milatri baeraks iin Oestriliya.  Mr Wilyaam Byuukaenan dror dem fas plaens iin 1826.  Daa bilden miina bii el haus wan haded mariin.  Kohnstrakshan begen iin 1829, en dem aed wan therd stori iin 1831. Ohfisas’ Kwortas bin aed et iich tada said iin 1832.




Wieh yuus et iin daa Sekan Setelment

Aes wael as biien daa lewen kwortas fe dem soelja, dem orlsoe haed wan Miletri Hospetl, wan Gaad Ruum, wan Pauda Maegasiin wan Borl Kort fe giems, sels, ena wohsh-haus.  Dem bild wan hai stoen worl raun et.  Aet wan taim bin gat wan skuul ena Roeman Kaethlik Chaepl.

 

Wieh yuus et iin daa Therd Setelment

Wen dem Pitkernas kam dem yuus daa bilden fe daa fas Methades Skuul.  Bin orlsoe yuus et fe daa senta f’ Berns Felp (Burns Philp) wathen bin es wan big trieden kampni iina Sauth Pasifik. 

 

Wieh yuus et desdieh

Aafta daa Sekan Werl Wor, daa kohmpaun bin yuus et fe daa Aedminastrieshan Werks Depoh, bat dieh meka daemaj gen dem bilden.  Daa kohmpaun se chienj wieh bin iin daa Sekan Setelment.

 

Nau daa bildien se restor et en es daa hoem o’ daa Norfuk Ailen (Norfolk Island) Asembli Chiembas. Daa Korthaus es orlsoe iin paat o’ wan o’ dii bilden.