When was it built?

The Salt House was built in 1848.  It replaced an earlier one, built in the 1820s that had collapsed.  It was used to extract salt from seawater, by boiling the seawater until it had evaporated.  The rectangular pool cut in the rocks is the remains of a concentration tank which helped because some of the water evaporated in the sun

Its uses during the Second Settlement

Salt was very important for preserving meat before refrigeration was invented.  In 1846 each convict got a ration of 1 lb (500g) of salt meat each day.  At times, salt was exported to the settlement in NSW.

Its uses today

The Salt House was a ruin by 1925.  Its stone walls have been protected but it is not used today.  A concentration pool is still visible in the rocks near the ruin.

Daa Solt Haus

Wat taim dem bild et?

Daa Solt Haus bild et iin 1848.  Dieh wan replies wan dem haed befor, dem bin bild iin dem 1820s thaet forl iin.  Dem yuus et f’ tek aut dem sohlt fram em siiworta, en bin boil et tal  s’ evaeporiet.  Daa rektaengula puul kat iin em stoen es wathen laef o wan kohnsentrieshan taenk wathen haelp said sam o dem wota el evaeporiet iina san.

Wathen dem yuus et for iin daa sekan setelment

Solt es important wan f’  preserw d’ miit for dem haed a frij.  Iin 1846 orl dem cohnvikt get wan raeshan o 1 lb (500g) o solt miit iich dieh.  Samtaim dem eksport dem solt gen daa setelment iin NSW.

Wathen yuus et fua nau

Daa Solt Haus es wan ruuen bai 1925.  Dem bin protekt dem  stoen worl bat nor yuusa yuus et enimor.  Yu stil el si daa  kohnsentrieshan puul iin dem stoen gen daa ruuen.